top of page
  • dellaganix

The Inside Scoop On My Natural Journey

Updated: Aug 24, 2020

Not too long after I had my daughter, my husband began having breathing problems. I changed a few things in my home and we soon realized it was the harmful ingredients in those items that was causing the issues.

Aside from raging hormones, exhaustion from a new baby, allergies, etc, deep down I knew there was some truth to what we had just experienced. Could the products we trusted in our home for so long really make us sick?

If you're anything like me, or how I used to be, you have plug-ins in every room, maybe even two. I loved them. Especially around this time of year. Summer is over, PUMPKIN SPICE ME UP! When someone was coming over, or I just wanted to spruce up the place, I'd spray a little something.

So.. I did some research.

I won't go all down the rabbit hole on you, but I can't withhold this type of information.

I used all of the things, body spray, perfume, all types of scented cleaners, carpet fresheners, car plug-ins, you name it.

According to the Natural Resources Defense Council:

Phthalates are used in many common consumer products—to soften plastics in children’s toys, as sealants and adhesives in nail polish, and in perfumes and air fresheners. When people use air fresheners, the phthalates are released into the air where they may be inhaled or may land on the skin and be absorbed. Once these chemicals enter the bloodstream, they can alter hormone levels and cause other health problems.

Phthalates are known to interfere with production of the male hormone, testosterone, and have been associated with reproductive abnormalities. Numerous animal studies have linked prenatal exposure to certain phthalates with decreases in testosterone, malformations of the genitalia, and reduced sperm production. The State of California notes that five types of phthalates—including one that we found in air freshener products—are “known to cause birth defects or reproductive harm.” Phthalate exposure in indoor environments has also been associated with allergic symptoms and asthma.

According to a fact sheet from the CDC:

Formaldehyde is known to cause cancer. The cancer of greatest concern is cancer of the nose and throat. Scientific research has not yet shown that a certain level of formaldehyde exposure causes cancer. However, the higher the level and the longer the exposure, the greater the chance of getting cancer. Exposure to formaldehyde might increase the chance of getting cancer even at levels too low to cause symptoms.

Aside from these major toxins, also take into consideration of the other effects this could have on you like asthma, headaches, skin conditions, birth effects, infertility and even cancer.

Once we took out the plug-ins from our home, my husband's breathing immediately got better. I stopped using the carpet sprays, the air fresheners, the bathroom scents, the car scents, and each day by the Grace of God he used his inhaler less and less.

I don't share this info to scare people or to tell you that taking out scented items will fix all of the problems - My goal is only to help people make more informed decisions as I did. Mothers, wives, like myself, who are trying their best. Were in this together.

I can't say I don't miss the nice smelling plug-ins, the lotions, the sprays, because I do, but now that I know better - I do better.

Now when I say I do better, I mean, I make my own of course. ;)

Be on the lookout for my Room Sprays in the Indoor Collection.

xo, KMH.

29 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page